Monday 5 May 2014

If so many people believe in commercials, why don't as many people believe in magic?


     Where ever I turn my eyes to I can see ads and commercials. Does this say what kind of nation we are, or it's the same in every country? Are people so desperate that they have to find hope in false promises of advertising?

     Being a girl, I do like to feel pretty (even though that's not so apparent sometimes), so my attention is mostly occupied with make up and skin care commercials. Ironically, my skin problems started when my puberty was over, and yes, because of that I was one of those desperate people who believed in everything advertising presented. In the last few years I tried every skin care and make up product that was advertised, and I tried almost everything else that could be found in drugstores and pharmacies. I even ordered products online...

     From all my experience I can say that first thing anyone should do when they face skin problems is talk to a doctor. I hate doctors but I do have some respect for dermatologists, so don't be stubborn like I was and don't try to solve your problems by believing in commercials... Every single product that was advertised made my skin even worse! I learned that the hard way, by trying out many, oh so many different things, and I could have saved a little fortune if I had gone to the doctor first.

     My skin is very sensitive and putting comedogenic make up on it caused real fiasco. In all my desperation, I believed that Max Factor, L'oreal, Maybelline etc. foundations will make my skin beautiful and I was wrong. I believed that Nivea, Garnier, L'oreal, Vichy, Neutrogena, Proactiv, Clean&Clear, RoC, Avene and many other 'famous' skin care products will make my problems disappear... And my skin was irritated even more. I know that many people swear by some of these brands and I am happy that these work for them. But sadly, they don't work for me.

     After all this time, I realized that only organic skin care products like Alverde Naturkosmetic work well for my skin, or cosmetics that is made in our country like Multiactiv. Luckily for me, they are cheap. And they are cheap because they do not advertise or they don't advertise as much! Now, I respect this more then I could have ever imagined I will. I even settled for non-advertising make up brands which are both extremely good for my pocket and my face.

     But I am really disturbed by the fact that women nowadays think that products that are not as popular as Nivea for example, or products that do not advertise are actually bad quality and that because they are cheap only poor people buy them! Well, I'm definitely not rich, but neither I, nor my parents and dermatologist would approve of something that's not good for me. It is really hard for me to believe, with all that I've been through, that people still overlook skin care and make up brands that they didn't see on tv. With Internet widely used, they could just google the ingredients of a product and see for themselves what is good and what is bad for their skin type.

     In our country people do not earn a lot of money, but it seems that majority of them would go and buy something just because it costs more that 1000 rsd and it's advertised (so it must be good). It seems like no one thinks with their heads and listens to their own needs, but wait for a commercial to tell them what to get. And with that kind of thinking, place we have in this world is not so surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment