Monday 5 May 2014

Observing the Ordinary: CLOUDS




     Last summer I climbed the ruins of an old Fortress in my home town with few close friends. We had picnic together there. After the meal, we relaxed, talked and basked in the sun. And somehow, clouds were brought up. Someone expressed the surprise that clouds can be so white and still, air is so polluted. When I said that clouds are actually yellow, gray and blue everybody was confused.

     I started explaining that when we look at clouds we see shades of these colors overlapping which gives the impression that clouds are white plus the sun light, but my friends were clueless. They replied that they thought these were just different shades of white. I was really surprised. White is not a color. White can't have shades, and clouds obviously do.

     I started thinking, and I realized that the only reason I knew that was because I took painting classes when I was younger, and we spent a lot of time in learning about colors and creating impressions of certain colors using few others completely different from the target one. And we especially concentrated on white. Well, I didn't give it much thought afterwards. I just figured it out that everyone knows something about things that they are interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment